Here is the latest flyer concerning the upcoming Illich symposium in Oakland, Calif. A third speaker has been arranged for Friday evening, Trent Schroyer. Mr. Schroyer teaches sociology and philosophy at Ramapo College, in NJ. He has written several essays about Illich, including one of the few reviews of The Rivers North of the Future and this one, called "Secularisation and the Loss of the Feeling Self," which reflects on Ivan Illich's sense of the vernacular. He also has written a book about alternatives to Western economics.
NEW SCARE CITY
It's a fictional streetscape we wander, here, a metropolis whose buildings, boulevards, and back alleys are in a constant state of flux. This is every place, and yet, no place at all - a city of dreams and a dream of a city.
Here, we explore the life and work of Ivan Illich and his circle of collaborators. There's no comprehensive index to the articles published, but we invite you to use the Search box, to the left, and to explore the Archive links that appear at the bottom of each page. Comments are welcomed.
- Ivan Illich and Jacques Ellul
- Illich's resting place
- Wolfgang Palaver, a speaker in Oakland
- Jean-Pierre Dupuy in Oakland
- 'Beyond Economics and Ecology' to be available in ...
- Illich, birds, and astrology
- House in Bremen
- A lecture in San Francisco, 1999
- John Holt on 'deschooling society,' 1971
- 'Osculatorium' and the 'conspiratio'
- Restoring the commons of a Greek island
- Silence in the face of social media
- An op-ed against egg harvesting cites Illich
- Illich on Canadian radio
- More about the Oakland meeting Aug. 1-3
- New book of Illich's essays
- Oakland event update
- An introduction to Ivan Illich, en français
- ▼ July (18)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (60)